Dr. Henry David Taylor
Dr. Henry David Taylor was born in Toronto in 1888. A graduate of McGill University, Dr. Taylor was the first African Canadian Physician to start a practise in Windsor, which he established in 1922.
Dr. Taylor was a prominent doctor, an educator and a human rights activist. He served on the Windsor Board of Education from 1935 to 1963, including 6 terms as the chairman of the board. In addition, he served as Chairman of the Board of Health and the Board of Governors of Metropolitan Hospital. Dr. Taylor was also the first President of the Central Citizens’ Association, an organization dedicated to improving conditions for African Canadians and one of Canada’s first civil rights organizations.
Dr. Taylor’s dedication to education and the community was celebrated with various awards and honours throughout the years. Dr. Taylor was named Civitan International’s “Citizen of the Year” in 1956, was presented with the Lamp of Learning from the Ontario School Teacher’s Federation in 1963, and a public elementary school was named in his honour in 1955, Dr. H. D. Taylor Public School.
Dr. H. D. Taylor continued to live in Windsor until his passing in 1974.
“Activism.” Windsor Mosaic – African Canadian Community (n.d.).
“African Canadian Roads to Freedom.” Greater Essex County District School Board (February 11, 2011).
“Dr. H. D. Taylor PS Farewell Open House.” School News Release (April 24, 2014), Greater Essex County District School Board.
“Dr. H. D. Taylor.” Windsor Mosaic African Canadian Community (n.d.).
“Dr. Henry D Taylor, Obituary.” Windsor Star (January 25 1975), page 2 (no link available).