Dominion House (sometimes known as “the DH”) is the oldest remaining continuously-run tavern in the Windsor-Detroit Border region and one of the oldest in Ontario. With a second-storey balcony and rooms for rent upstairs, it was a coach stop between Amherstburg and Detroit.
The Dominion House has played a great part in the history of Windsor, as it was the place where farmers transporting their goods would stop to take a rest, members of the Old County Court would spend their off time dining and discussing important matters, and University of Windsor students and professors alike spent both class and recreational hours. The building of the Ambassador Bridge coincided with the time of Prohibition and the Depression, enabling the owners to remain in business by renting rooms to the bridge construction workers.
In 1859, the Dominion House started out as an inn, operated and owned by James Cotter and Charles Askin. In 1878, the Dominion House got its name from Frank Dent. In 1883, it burnt to the ground and Albert Lininger, owner at the time, reopened across the street after the new building was put up by Francois Janisse. In this location, the DH changed ownerships many times. Co-owners Jordan Tough and Chris Mickle celebrated the tavern’s 140th anniversary in May 2018. Sources: Windsor’s oldest tavern celebrates 140 years Dominion House History Dominion House (Tavern) c. 1878