Joanne (Bouw) Berdan
Athlete, Field events, Paralympian, Pharmacist
Joanne Berdan (who competed as Joanne Bouw) is a native of St. Catharines, Ontario. Her claim to Windsor fame was coming in 1986 for one year to train under coach John Ritchie, a long-time Paralympics coach. She has competed and gained recognition for achievements in javelin, shot put and discus as an athlete with cerebral palsy. Among her many significant achievements are:
- 1988, Paralympic Summer Games in Seoul, Korea: Won gold medals in her class for shot put, discus, and javelin
- 1990 World Championships in Assen, Holland: gold medals
- 1992 Paralympic Summer Games in Barcelona, Spain: Won gold medals in her class for shot put, discus, and javelin
- 1996 Paralympic Summer Games in Atlanta, USA: competed in different disability group when her events were cancelled. Retired after these games.
- Finalist for Canadian Female Athlete of the Year honors (first athlete with a disability to be recognized for this honour)
- King Clancy Award from the Canadian Foundation for Physically Disabled Persons
- 4-time recipient of the Terry Fox Humanitarian Award
- Dr. Robert Jackson Award for Ontario’s Disabled Athlete of the Year, 1986 & 1989
- Edna Peace Memorial Award – Female Athlete of the Year, 1986 & 1989
- Jim Vipond Award (Ontario’s top disabled athlete), 1986 & 1989
- Jim Joy Memorial Award, St. Catharines Athlete of the Year, 1989
- Ontario Cerebral Palsy Sports Association Athlete of the Decade (1980-1990)
- Inducted into Canadian Paralympic Hall of Fame, 2003
- Inducted into the University of Toronto Sports Hall of Fame, 2014 References: Techko, T. (1995). The Olympians among us: celebrating a century of excellence. Tecumseh, Ontario, Canada: TraveLife Publishing Enterprises.
Joanne is a practicing pharmacist, wife and mother who continues to encourage and motivate athletes through committee work and speaking engagements to work their hardest to achieve their goals.
http://paralympic.ca/canadian-paralympic-hall-fame/inductees/joanne-berdan-athlete Accessed 2016-07-05.
http://ccpsa.ca/en/sports/hall-of-fame/joanne-berdan/ Accessed 2016-07-05.
http://www.cfpdp.com/previous-hall-of-fame-inductees/ Accessed 2016-07-05.
Techko, T. (1995). The Olympians among us: celebrating a century of excellence. Tecumseh, Ontario, Canada: TraveLife Publishing Enterprises.