Joanne (Bouw) Berdan
Athlete, Field events, Paralympian, Pharmacist
Joanne Berdan (who competed as Joanne Bouw) is a native of St. Catharines, Ontario. Her claim to Windsor fame was coming in 1986 for one year to train under coach John Ritchie, a long-time Paralympics coach. She has competed and gained recognition for achievements in javelin, shot put and discus as an athlete with cerebral palsy. Among her many significant achievements are:
- 1988, Paralympic Summer Games in Seoul, Korea: Won gold medals in her class for shot put, discus, and javelin
- 1990 World Championships in Assen, Holland: gold medals
- 1992 Paralympic Summer Games in Barcelona, Spain: Won gold medals in her class for shot put, discus, and javelin
- 1996 Paralympic Summer Games in Atlanta, USA: competed in different disability group when her events were cancelled. Retired after these games.
- Finalist for Canadian Female Athlete of the Year honors (first athlete with a disability to be recognized for this honour)
- King Clancy Award from the Canadian Foundation for Physically Disabled Persons
- 4-time recipient of the Terry Fox Humanitarian Award
- Dr. Robert Jackson Award for Ontario’s Disabled Athlete of the Year, 1986 & 1989
- Edna Peace Memorial Award – Female Athlete of the Year, 1986 & 1989
- Jim Vipond Award (Ontario’s top disabled athlete), 1986 & 1989
- Jim Joy Memorial Award, St. Catharines Athlete of the Year, 1989
- Ontario Cerebral Palsy Sports Association Athlete of the Decade (1980-1990)
- Inducted into Canadian Paralympic Hall of Fame, 2003
- Inducted into the University of Toronto Sports Hall of Fame, 2014 References: Techko, T. (1995). The Olympians among us: celebrating a century of excellence. Tecumseh, Ontario, Canada: TraveLife Publishing Enterprises.
Joanne is a practicing pharmacist, wife and mother who continues to encourage and motivate athletes through committee work and speaking engagements to work their hardest to achieve their goals.
The Canadian Cerebral Palsy Sports Association http://ccpsa.ca/en/sports/hall-of-fame/joanne-berdan/ Accessed 2016-07-05.
Techko, T. (1995). The Olympians among us: celebrating a century of excellence. Tecumseh, Ontario, Canada: TraveLife Publishing Enterprises.