Grade 6 Overall Expectations:
Movement Skills and Concepts
Perform smooth transfers of weight in in relation to others and equipment in a variety of situations involving static and dynamic balance
Perform a wide variety of locomotor movements, in combination, at different speeds, in different directions, and using different pathways, while moving around others and/or equipment
- Jordyn Jones’ Top 10 Favorite Dance Moves (YouTube Video)
- Basic Locomotor Movements for Sports (YouTube Video)
Send and receive a variety of objects, adjusting for speed and distance, while applying basic principles of movement
- Catch! 10 Ways to Play (Website Article)
- Catching and Throwing (YouTube Video)
- Rubber Chicken Phys Ed Activities (YouTube Video)
Retain objects in a variety of situations while travelling in different pathways and at different speeds in relation to others and equipment
Demonstrate an understanding of the components of physical activities and apply this understanding as they participate in a variety of physical activities
- Try out various web videos of sports activities and training skills for sports that your child enjoys most. Below are a selection of YouTube Videos for various sports and activities.
- RUNNING: Kids/Youth Triathlon
- TRAINING: Resistance Bands Exercises
- DANCING: Just Dance Workout
- YOGA: Mind-Body Connection through Yoga
- BASKETBALL: Basketball Shooting Drills for Youth
- BASKETBALL: 6 BEST Dribbling Drills For Kids!
- BASEBALL: Simple Baseball Fielding Drills
- BASEBALL: Baseball Throwing Drills
- SOCCER: Soccer Training at Home for Kids
- SOCCER: Soccer Drills for Kids
- FOOTBALL: Cone Drills for Speed and Agility
- FOOTBALL: Football Catching Drills
- VOLLEYBALL: Ways to Practice Volleyball at Home
- VOLLEYBALL: Solo Volleyball Drills for Home
Describe common features of specific categories of physical activities, and describe strategies that they found effective while participating in a variety of physical activities in different categories
- Discuss with your child what they did in the video, and how they think these drills will help them get better at the sport/activity. What other sports might these drills help them with?
Apply a variety of tactical solutions to increase their chances of success as they participate in physical activities
- Discuss how drills and practice help you get better at a sport or activity.