Grade 5 Overall Expectations:
Movement Skills and Concepts
Perform controlled transfers of weight in a variety of situations involving static and dynamic balance, using changes in speed and levels, with and without equipment
- Have A Blast With This Family Fun Cardio Workout! (YouTube Video)
- Fitness 4 Kids (Hoopla Video)
- Improving Balance (YouTube video)
Demonstrate the ability to jump in control for height or distance, using a variety of body actions
Explore different combinations of locomotor movements with and without equipment, alone and with others, moving at different speeds and levels, and using different pathways
Send and receive objects using different body parts and equipment, adjusting for speed, while applying basic principles or movement
Retain objects with and without equipment in a variety of situations while moving in different pathways around others and equipment
Demonstrate an understanding of the components of physical activities and apply this understanding as they participate in a variety of physical activities
- Try out various web videos of sports activities and training skills for sports that your child enjoys most. Below are a selection of YouTube Videos for various sports and activities.
- RUNNING: Kids/Youth Triathlon
- TRAINING: Resistance Bands Exercises
- DANCING: Just Dance Workout
- YOGA: Mind-Body Connection through Yoga
- BASKETBALL: Basketball Shooting Drills for Youth
- BASKETBALL: 6 BEST Dribbling Drills For Kids!
- BASEBALL: Simple Baseball Fielding Drills
- BASEBALL: Baseball Throwing Drills
- SOCCER: Soccer Training at Home for Kids
- SOCCER: Soccer Drills for Kids
- FOOTBALL: Cone Drills for Speed and Agility
- FOOTBALL: Football Catching Drills
- VOLLEYBALL: Ways to Practice Volleyball at Home
- VOLLEYBALL: Solo Volleyball Drills for Home
Describe common features of specific categories of physical activities, and describe strategies and tactics that they found effective while participating in a variety of physical activities in different categories
- Discuss with your child what they did in the video, and how they think these drills will help them get better at the sport/activity. What other sports might these drills help them with?
Apply a variety of tactical solutions to increase their chances of success as they participate in physical activities
- Discuss how drills and practice help you get better at a sport or activity.