More than 16,000 books printed! Is yours one of them?
The Espresso Book Machine (EBM) has the ability to allow customers to print custom books while they wait. The EBM system offers local authors the opportunity to print professionally-bound copies of their own work, out-of-print and out-of-copyright books and books which are not presently in the WPL catalogue. The machine is a fully-integrated, high-speed, compact solution that automatically prints, binds, and trims – on demand – perfectly bound, library-quality paperback books.
Printing a book
Once all of the writing, editing, proofreading of your book is complete, you are ready to format your book to be printed on the machine. Instructions on formatting the interior or designing a cover for your book are available in PDF.
We can help with anything, from creating the document to creating a PDF. Be sure to make an appointment for assistance.
Our Espresso Book Machine will print a high-quality paperback with black and white or colour interior pages, and a full-colour cover. You can choose the size you want: from 4.5” x 5” to 8.25” by 10.5”. The book can be from 40-800 pages.
Quick-Start Check List:
- Write, edit and polish your book until you are sure it is ready to publish;
- Choose a size for your book;
- Format your manuscript until you are satisfied with the layout – font, page numbers, headers and footers, etc; email for formatting guidelines.
- Create your cover in a program such as Photoshop® or InDesign®. Again, we’re here to get you started, or help when you are stuck!;
- Convert your interior and cover files into PDFs;
- Make an appointment to meet with facilitator and print your book;
NOTE – Colour interiors can be done only on certain days.
- Bring your files – both the PDFs and the original working documents – (Cover and Book Block) on a flash drive;
- When it’s all formatted correctly, sit back and watch your book being made!
Set-up fee: $20
The set-up fee is a one-time charge per title. It covers the cost of checking file compatibility, loading and storing on the EBM.
Cover: $3.50 – NOTE: All-black covers are $4.00
(Cover fee includes cover stock, ink and the binding process).
Interior Pages: $.05/page for black and white; $.50/page for colour
For example, a 100 page, black and white interior book would be $8.50 to print (after the $20 set-up fee).
Discounts are available for bulk orders.
Self-Publishing Lab Opening Hours
Please check the current month’s calendar link at the top of the page for updated hours and programs.
*We are open alternate Fridays and Saturdays. Please check July 2017 calendar to be sure which day we are open in a specific week.
To book an appointment, call 519-255-6770 x4603 or email email@example.com
X-Press Self-Publishing Lab
Windsor Public Library
850 Ouellette Avenue
519-255-6770 Ext. 4603
- What are the specifications of a Books-On-Demand Book?
Interior: Black and White or Colour
Page-Count: 44-800 pages
Trim Size: 4.5” x 5” to 8.25” x 10.5” and anything in-between.
- Can I use the EBM to publish my own book?
Yes! If you have written a novel, a memoir, a how-to guide, a family history, cookbook, a storybook for your child…
All can now be preserved in beautiful book-form. You provide us with two print-ready PDF files: one for your book’s interior pages, and one for the cover, formatted the way you want them to look.
- Can the book be illustrated?
Yes, the book can be illustrated.
- Do you edit?
No, we currently do not offer editing services, but we can put you in contact with professional editors. Likewise, we can offer basic assistance on cover design, but can provide you with a list of local designers if you are looking for professional help, or even typists if you need one!