A #ThrowbackThursday to the willow walk by the Sandwich Canal. This photograph was captured around 1909 by Andrew Bowlby, one of the original investors in Ford Canada. The canal was dug from Russell St. to the Detroit River to allow American tourists to reach the popular mineral springs. At its peak popularity there was a streetcar line, a ferry service, and a hotel for visitors. By the time Bowlby took this picture, the Sandwich mineral springs had already run dry, but the area continued to be popular with swimmers. Today, the area is mainly industrial.