A #ThrowbackThursday to some unconventional cargo. The Michigan Central Railway Tunnel was completed in 1909, and opened in 1910, connecting Windsor and Detroit a full 20 years before the automotive tunnel. Before it opened, rail cars were transported by ferry across the river. The dual-tracked train tunnel made it faster for passengers and goods to travel between the two countries. On the Windsor side, the tunnel surfaces south of Wyandotte beside Cameron Avenue and in Detroit, connects to the main line west of downtown. In 2014, it was estimated that the tunnel handles 400,000 rail cars and $22 billion in trade each year.