September 8th is International Literacy Day, and one year ago to this day Windsor Public Library, together with several community partners launched our first round of Little Free Libraries around the community. This initiative was such a success that WPL together with Rotary Club of Windsor 1918 and the Rotary Club of Windsor-Roseland, decided to launch another set of 15 libraries. With the support of those groups as well as a very generous donation from the Volunteers for Literacy Foundation, we found all the funds and cooperation necessary to move on to this second stage. Today, once again marking International Literacy Day, we are happy to announce that the newest installments of libraries are officially unveiled.
You will now be able to access and use the Little Free Libraries from the following locations:
- Multicultural Council: 245 Janette Ave, Windsor, ON N9A 4Z2
- Multicultural Council: 7651 Tecumseh Rd E, Windsor, ON N8T 3H1
- Windsor Residence for Young Men: 1505 Langlois Avenue, Windsor, ON N8X 4M3
- Oakwood Community Centre: 2520 Cabana Rd W, Windsor, ON N9G 1E5
- John Atkinson Community Centre: 4270 Alice St, Windsor, ON N8Y 2B8
- Optimist Community Centre: 1075 Ypres Ave, Windsor, ON N8W 1S1
- Forest Glade Community Centre: 3215 Forest Glade Dr, Windsor, ON N8R 1W7
- Children’s Aid: 1671 Riverside Dr E, Windsor, ON
- Windsor Regional Hospital Ouellette Campus: 1030 Ouellette Ave, Windsor, ON N9A 1E1
- Hotel Dieu Hospital: 1453 Prince Rd, Windsor, ON N9C 3Z4
- Libro Centre: 3295 Libro Credit Union Centre, Meloche Rd, Amherstburg, ON N9V 2Y8
- LaSalle Community Health Care Centre: 2125 Front Rd. LaSalle, Ontario N9J 2C1
- Ontario Public Interest Research Group: OPIRG House Main Floor 372 California Avenue, Windsor, ON N9B 1B1
- Canadian Anglo Club: 1211 Lauzon Rd, Windsor, ON N8S 3M9
- Webequie First Nation: 16 Okimaw Road, Wapekeka, ON P0V 1B0. **Webequie is a growing Ojibway community located on the northern peninsula of Eastwood Island on Winisk Lake, 540 km north of the city of Thunder Bay.
We are so grateful for all of the community partners who came together on this project, all joining to make a better more literate Windsor and Essex County. Remember, these libraries are run on the premise of “take a book, leave a book”, so please make sure to visit the locations and keep the charitable and collaborative spirit going!